College Access Counseling

My firm, College Access Counseling, Ltd., works with adults and organizations who counsel and support first-generation and minority students on the way to college. I teach the ins and outs of the college process, helping them build social and cultural capital for their students. Click here for more information. I also write for NACAC's blog, Admitted. You can read my entries as well as some of my colleagues', here. Click here to read one of my entries in the New York Times's blog, The Choice.

August 10, 2004

A change in College Counseling

I have been a high school English and theater teacher, an Associate Dean of Admission at Amherst College, and am now a college counselor at the University of Chicago Laboratory H.S. in Chicago. When I first got into the admission biz I was drawn by the idea of finding interesting, talented students to recruit for Amherst. I think most people go into admission with this in mind---they genuinely like kids and people and want to help them achieve their goals. (It didn't hurt that Amherst was also my alma mater, which, again, I think is true for many people). Yet I also soon realized that there is a good deal of salesmanship and just plain "selling" involved, even for a nationally-recognized place like Amherst.

That didn't really bother me, but now that I'm on the other side of the desk, as we say, I find myself conflicted about how to structure my duty to my students. Certainly, I want to help them discover, learn about, and gain acceptance to colleges that they like and that will be good for them. Certainly, I want to help lead them through the maze of information they receive, not just from colleges but from testing companies and other less scrupulous entities that are just trying to make a buck off the anxieties of students and their parents. At times like these, I also feel I need to be a consumer advocate, not just a guide. And this sometimes puts me in opposition to colleges and universities that I think are coming on too strong or doing things I think are inimical to my students' overall best interests. Surprisingly, I often get flak from my high school colleagues in NACAC for "rocking the boat." Although I usually get plenty of sub rosa support when I speak up, people seem afraid to anger colleges if they say anything about what they perceive as poor practices. I feel it's important to do so.

Washington University in St. Louis is encouraging students to begin their applications as early as March of their junior year; Princeton University encouraged an application from a student of mine long after the official deadline; the University of Illinois has moved its application deadlines back based on "administrative" needs, compelling students to apply as early as the end of September if they want to meet priority deadlines. I think these things are wrong and I think it's important to say so. Again, those who support me often say, "Well, say something, but don't name the institutions." And I say, "Why not?" Should those I consider to be doing something wrong not be named? If I were a true consumer advocate and I saw a company polluting, wouldn't it be my responsibility to report that and name the company?

Counselors seem convinced that colleges will retaliate against their students if they say anything. If that's true (which I in fact don't believe), then we on the high school side aren't true colleagues of the college admission folks, we're merely supplicants and middlemen subsisting on the crumbs that colleges choose to throw us, making students' admission contingent on our compliance with whatever they decide to do, no matter how negatively it affects education, students' goals, and so on. No matter how much or loudly we object to something, colleges are really free to do what they want because they're the only game in town.

I believe it's time for the high school side to take a more consumer-active role in college admission. We should speak in a unified voice, publicly and naming names, when we see something happening that we believe is against our students' interests. I know there's support out there because I get lots of it from NACAC listserv members, but, again, they're nearly always private. We need a way to speak publicly and not just scurry in fear when a college does something we think is off target.

Again, having been on both sides of the desk I don't attribute any of these things to dastardly evildoing. I see it as a response to market forces that are all but inexorable. Like it or not, most colleges are just struggling to fill beds and so they need to keep on top of what the competition does and try to beat it. More and more, commercial methods of marketing and advertising are altering the ways schools approach students. Unfortunately, there seems to be little concern for how these things (like earlier deadlines--based on the idea that if you can get to 'em first, you're more likely to get 'em) affect actual "studenthood," in my friend Lloyd Thacker's word.

So as a teacher as well as advisor and counselor I am compelled to speak up. Where do we go from here? I think we need to form within NACAC an exclusively high school wing that really monitors and brings a public spotlight to bear on college admission methodologies that we consider antithetical to education. I think we need to make this change sooner rather than later. It's already eaten into our students' livesr far too much. Let's do this before senior slump becomes freshman slump or worse.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Books About College, Teens, and American Culture

  • A History of American Higher Education
  • A Hope in the Unseen
  • Admission
  • Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic
  • African Americans and College Choice
  • Born to Buy: The Commercialized Child and the New Consumer Culture
  • Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men
  • Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers
  • Campus Life
  • Class
  • College Access & Opportunity Guide
  • College Admissions and the Public Interest
  • College Admissions Together: It Takes a Family
  • College Gold: The Step by Step Guide for Paying for College
  • College Knowledge: What It Really Takes for Students to Succeed and What We Can Do to Get Them Ready
  • College Unranked: Ending the College Admissions Frenzy
  • Colleges that Change Lives
  • Consumed
  • Contradictions of School Reform: Educational Costs of Standardized Testing
  • Doing School: How We are Creating a Generation of Stressed-out, Materialistic, and Miseducated Students
  • First in the Family
  • Fiske Guide to Colleges
  • Going to College: How Social, Economic, and Educational Factors Influence the Decisions Students Make
  • Harvard, Schmarvard
  • Higher Learning, Greater Good: The Private & Social Benefits of Higher Education
  • Huck's Raft: A History of American Childhood
  • I Am Charlotte Simmons
  • Increasing Access to College:
  • Less Stress, More Success: A New Approach to Guiding Your Teen Through College Admission and Beyond
  • Leveling the Playing Field: Justice, Politics, and College Admissions
  • Life: The Movie: How Entertainment Conquered America
  • Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams
  • Looking Beyond the Ivy League
  • Panicked Parents' Guide to College Admissions
  • Privilege: Harvard and the Education of the Ruling Class
  • Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes
  • Race and Class Matters at an Elite College
  • Rescuing Your Teenager From Depression
  • Shakespeare, Einstein, and the Bottom Line: The Marketing of Higher Education
  • Sophomore Guide to College & Career: Preparing for life After High School
  • Standardized Minds: The High Price of America's Testing Culture and What We Can Do to Change It
  • Status Anxiety
  • Taking Time Off
  • Tearing Down the Gates: Confronting the Class Divide in American Education
  • The Big Test: The Secret History of the American Meritocracy
  • The Bond: Three Young Men Learn to Forgive & Reconnect with Their Fathers
  • The Case Against Standardized Testing: Raising the Scores, Ruining the Schools
  • The Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton
  • The Culture of Narcissism
  • The Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process of a Premier College
  • The Image: A Guide to Pseudo-Events in American Life
  • The Little College Handbook: A First Generation's Guide to Getting in and Staying In
  • The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College
  • The Pact: Three Young Men Make a Promise and Fulfull a Dream
  • The Pressured Child: Helping Your Child Find Success in School and Life
  • The Price of Admission: How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges--and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates
  • The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids
  • The Rise and Fall of the American Teenager
  • The Secret Lives of Overachievers
  • The Unintended Consequences of High Stakes Testing
  • Universities in the Marketplace: The Commercialization of Higher Education
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? for Teens